Death Wish

Our hamster is sick. There is something wrong with his eyeball - it's very swollen, nasty, and really gross looking. I will spare your stomachs and not post a picture of it. For a hamster, he is getting old - he's over 2 years old. I think I read somewhere that they usually live only 2-3 years. My problem is that I used up all of his food when I last cleaned his cage. I really don't want to buy another bag of food to extend his life for one more week or two. They do not sell small bags of food that I have ever seen - just the ginormous-last-a-lifetime-all-you-can-possibly-eat size. I really wish he would die. I've warned and prepared the kids for the fact that he is getting old and may die soon. They are taking it well. Abby declared yesterday, "I hope our hamster dies really soon. Then we can get fish." Yes, I have promised to set up the fishtank once hamster dies. Abby is excited about that because she will get to name the fish. The kids also planned hamster's funeral and then starting planning the funerals of our nonexistant fish. Ana said she gets to flush the toilet, and David volunteered to read a dead fish poem for them. So I'm not sure what I will do yet with Hamster. Maybe I can feed him some fresh vegetables and grains while we wait for him to kick the bucket. Perhaps I should have bought the hamster toy Abby wanted to get him last week. That would solve my problem. My mother told me that her mother would secretly poison all pets she brought home with various things. That feels a little cold hearted to me. I will just wish in my heart for him to die, but not take any actions.

On other happier, less morbid notes, our first day of school went well. The kids were excited to do most everything and it went smoothly. Abby wanted to do school a LOT like David and Ana get to do. David and Ana were more excited for Abby's preschool work than their own. It was a big distraction for them. :) I'll leave you with two pictures of the school day. They were making their own cave paintings. We are studying ancient history, so this went along with some books we had checked out. They had fun. Ana really wishes she could live in a cave and paint on her walls. Well, I'm off to start Day Two of school now.




Comments

  1. I will trade you one sick hamster for one 14 year old straggly cat....hey come to think of it...you are the one who brought the cat to us 14 years ago...so they are both yours!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look