Learning Styles

In history this week, we are starting off learning of the fall of Rome and that will launch us into the Middle Ages for our study this year.  So we decided to pretend we were Roman soldiers for the night (not very authentically, Aaron might add).  I sent some scouts out ahead of us to find us a good eating spot for the night while I made hobo dinners.  I had also made some dark rye bread to be torn apart as we ate our supper (without silverware, because it wasn't invented yet!).  We did use plates to hold our food to help keep hungry/curious insects away.  The kids all brought out their weapons so that they would be ready to fight at a moment's notice.  Ana really gets into these things and stays in character the entire time.
It was fully brought to my attention on day one of school that Ana's preferred learning style is completely different than David.  David easily fits into the traditional public school style of teaching, which makes it easy and comfortable for me to get his lessons together (with the exception of writing, which he despises at this point in his life).  Ana is very much more of a visual/hands on learner.  To sit and do pencil and paper work is pretty much the death of her (or so she feels and therefore acts).  I fought it with her for unfortunately too long before I had my "aha" moment last year.  School was not fun for either one of us.  So this year I am trying hard to figure out ways to engage her learning style and keep her excited about school.  It takes much more time and effort from me, but it makes for a much better school day, which in turn keeps all of us happier.

She despised doing spelling practice because usually it consisted of writing down her words, filling in blanks, doing bland (mono-color) puzzles.  It was a struggle.  This year we are trying out new ways.  Yesterday, I printed out her word list in a big, lightly colored font on the computer and had her make them pretty, cut them out and then glue them on a big piece of paper in whatever order she wanted.  She enjoyed that task greatly.
Today, instead of practicing her words by writing them on paper, I got a tray of sand from our sandbox and she is very happily writing her words one by one in the sand.  She told me, "This is the most awesome way to practice my words ever."
Other ideas I have to help her practice: using our letter magnets and spelling her words with them on the fridge, scattering letter cards on the floor and having her run around gathering the letters she needs for each word, and who knows what else!  I'm slowly gathering ideas for the rest of her subjects - some of them are easier to be creative with than others. 

How can you get creative with grammar?  Any ideas? I need help! 
Also, just for fun, what type of learning do you function in best?  - I'm more of a visual learner too like Ana, but I learned to function just fine in the typical school way (probably why I fought with Ana so long).  So this is good for me to go back to the "fun" parts of school that I liked best.

Comments

  1. One way to teach grammer (verbs, nouns, etc) would be to get those books called MadLibs. Remember how much fun you and I and your sister had in the car filling them out. If you can stop your kids from laughing (knowing them)..it still teaches grammer. Would be good. Also on line there is a place called Wacky Web Tales.
    You find it at www.eduplace.com/tales. You fill in the nouns, verbs etc and it prints you out a wacky story. There are a number of those to do. But so love the Mad Libs. Another thing (maybe for David since he hates to write) Take a passage from a book and have them rewrite it in a different tense. Try that. If I come up with any other thoughts ..will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana sounds like me at her age. When we were in Africa I was always sneaking off to go outside to experience life, and I loved getting in to character! Aaron and I would use our green afghans to make tunics when we pretended to be Romans. Good luck - this is something I would struggle to take on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought of some more. Another thing is to teach through music...like the song. I've been working on the railroad....etc etc. What verb tenses are used. What nouns? What about prepositions or apostrophe use? A thought. Looking on line I found a game ($21) called "Go to Press..a grammer game. It looks like fun. It is a board game...they have to put a newspaper together and have to go from office to office finding and correcting headlines. The first person to return to the boss's office ..wins !!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look