Meal Fail

Well, we had a truly horrible dinner tonight. My mom had given us some bratwurst that she and my dad didn't care for. Often times, my family will happily eat things they don't prefer, but not tonight. I can now see why she gave them away. They were quite horrid. Thanks a lot, Mom. David, the ever growing hungry boy, didn't seem to mind them too much and downed two of them fairly quickly. I did not finish mine. To go with our nasty brats, I tried out some cheddar rosemary muffins from our cookbook challenge. For the first time ever, we all agreed on how to rate it. A big fat one - the lowest rating possible. No one was able to eat a whole muffin. The rosemary taste was overpowering of everything else. It also seemed to call for too much baking soda as it had that baking soda taste in what wasn't flavored with rosemary. Blech. I hope the birds appreciate them more than we did! Thankfully, I had made a salad to go along with our meal and had roasted some sweet potatoes as well. So we didn't go super hungry. We also scrounged in the freezer and had enough ice cream for everyone to have a scoop for dessert. And now I'm making some chocolate chip cookies to fill in all the hungry cracks. It's been awhile since I've had a massive meal fail. Let's hope it takes awhile before another one happens!

What was the last meal you made that was a fail?

Comments

  1. Some new friends invited us to dinner last week. As we chatted in the beautiful kitchen the lady of the house rolled out her homemade pizza crust and covered it in her homemade sauce and lots of additional goodies. Awesome! I thought that surely I could do this and tied it last weekend. NOT! My crust was way too thick and tough and the sauce horrid. Tom liked it okay . . . or he said he did. I thought it was awful.

    Regarding bratwurst, I've never cooked them, but when I eat them at the home of some German friends, they are wonderful. They say boiling first (in beer, I think) is a must before grilling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last horrid meal I had were the bratwurst I gave you...ha! They were just strange....sorry ! We have some awesome ones with spinach, etc in them. You can blame your dad for this one...he picked them out !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa! Your post made me laugh. I've had a few meal fails over the years. One in particular gave us something to chuckle over ever since. I made some kind of casserole that was horrid and everyone sort of ate in silence. My husband managed to finish his serving and I asked him if he'd like a second helping. Before he realized what he was saying, he said, "No thanks, I could barely choke down the first one." Then he clapped his hand over his mouth and tried to apologize....he was so sorry. But we all just started rolling with laughter and now it's a standard joke.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As newlyweds, we sat at the table trying to figure out why the tuna-noodle casserole didn't taste right. Then I looked over at the kitchen counter, and there sat the unopened can of tuna. Sheesh! This was 34 years ago. I've also made chicken pot pie and left out the chicken, but I'm actually okay with that.
    Visiting from Company Girls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look