Shelter

Yesterday, we continued our learnings on prehistoric man by venturing forth into the wilds at my in-laws. Our goals were to forage for food and build a shelter with the things we had around us. The kids each took along their hunting bags and went looking for food. They found plenty of hickory nuts and some good smashing rocks to open them up. Here is David working on our nut supply.
Here is Ana also trying to open up some nuts - she had more trouble with the technique and kept shooting the nuts out and hitting people with them.
Abby didn't care to try to crack open any nuts. She spent her time watching and eating the raspberries we "discovered" and picked. Yes, they are in a very non-prehistoric container.
We gathered a bunch of branches and large leaves and made a small shelter. We made our shelter near a water source (small pond), but decided to drink our non-prehistoric water from our plastic water bottles instead of the pond water.


Finished product.
Ana wondered what that thing was I was holding in my hand and looking through while I pushed buttons. She said she had never seen one before. I told her I found it and didn't know what it was. She suggested I name it "camera". She enjoyed remaining true to character. We had a fun afternoon pretending and doing something a little out of the ordinary for school.
On other news, Hamster has found a new lease on life and after about two weeks of a nasty disgusting eyeball, he is coming through to the other side of his illness. He lucked out because I found a petstore that dispenses hamster food in the quantity you want. So I bought 3/4 lbs. of food for 71 cents. Now I don't have to starve him. But seeing as how he is looking more healthy now, perhaps I should have gotten a bigger bag. At least David is happy to have him still alive.
Speaking of David, we enjoyed a very nice time together in the city on Wednesday. He had a doctor appointment and the girls stayed at Grandma Cindy's house. It's really nice to just take one child to town. Everything feels so much more relaxed with just one. We spent WAY more time than we should have in the library getting lost in the world of books. We staggered out of there with some 40 books to devour over the next three weeks. It amuses me that I have to enforce the "do-not-read-while-you-walk rule" just about everytime we go there. I was glad we didn't park too far away as we carried our haul. It was heavy.

That's all for today. I need to go and clean someone else's house now. I do it once a month. Does anyone want to come and clean my house for me while I am gone? Anyone?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look