What's for Dinner?

I have been better at getting school organized on Sunday for the week - now I need to work on figuring out a meal plan for the week so I don't have my 5:00PM panic over what's-for-dinner-because-Aaron-will-be-home-very-soon! Tonight I had a little more leeway on getting things done as Aaron is out late marking the cross country course for tomorrow's home meet. So since I have a plethora of volunteer squash, I decided to try out a few new recipes. I made some butternut squash fries. I love roasted sweet potatoes like that, so butternut squash was bound to be just as good that way. Yep, they were! I also tried out some butternut squash muffins with some of my squash. They too were quite yummy. Mmmm. Tasted like pumpkin bread, really.

Today, I went out to the in-laws and picked some apples and pears, raspberries and tomatoes. All that will need to be dealt with now in a somewhat timely fashion before the swarm of fruit flies that has taken up residence in my kitchen continue to rapidly reproduce and decide to eat the cats (wait, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea...).

Whenever we go to the grandparents' houses, the girls lament that our yard is so small and wish we had a big yard. I feel bad about that too and also wish it was bigger. That was the one thing that we really hesitated over when looking at our house - the tiny yard. There's no where to go out and run around when you're little. I grew up with a big yard and loved the freedom to just wander and run at top speed. If you are able to get up to top speed in our yard, you have to immediately slow down before you run out into the street, or hit something. Abby also had this minor request too, "If our house burns down, can we buy a house that has a swimming pool?" Umm, sure Abby, we can do that.

But we're making the best of our small yard - tucking away garden in various locations, planting fruit trees and bushes here and there while still having a bit of grass to play in. Not ideal for me. Oh, I did find the house of my dreams while out running on a new road for me on Saturday. I was trying to come up with ideas of how to take it over from whoever lives there because I WANT THAT HOUSE!!! It was so beautiful and in the perfect setting with a gorgeously large yard. Maybe the people who live there will just get creeped out by the weirdo family that has moved their belongings onto their driveway and are slowly moving everything closer to the house day by day. That would make them want to leave, wouldn't it? It might be worth a try. Aaron and I also would like to take over my parent's house someday and have even offered to build them a little hut on the property while they are still alive, but they don't seem enthused by our generosity. So I guess in the meantime, I will continue to live in my own house and make the most of it, enjoying the squash that volunteer to grow in my garden and sacrifice itself for my eating pleasure.

Comments

  1. Huh, hide the matches from Abby and for anyone reading this post....if we, Melissa's parents, die under strange circumstances...please call the authorities !!!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look