Laugh Out Loud Fun

When I married Aaron, I realized I had married a man who was addicted to books. This is not a bad addiction as far as addictions go. Through him, I learned that you can do all sorts of things while reading a book, such as play computer games, do the dishes, and even shower. Yes, Aaron reads in the shower. I tried it once to see what it was like. I don't recommend it. It's uncomfortable to hold the book out of the stream of water, very difficult to turn the pages one handed, and in the back of my mind I kept fearing I would drop and ruin the book in the water. Aaron, however has no qualms whatsoever about reading in the shower and almost daily uses up the hot water as he reads while showering. Here is an example of his amazing talent of reading while doing chores (don't worry - no shower pictures!).

I also quickly realized that Aaron is the type of person who laughs outloud when reading a book. I didn't realize people actually did that until I married him. I would hear him in another room laughing his head off over something. When I would come and see what was so funny, I would find him engrossed in a book. I usually don't notice it anymore, unless it's at bedtime and I'm trying to sleep and the bed starts to silently shake with his laughter as he tries in vain to contain his mirth over the latest read. I think it's a hereditary condition. I have witnessed many of his family members guffawing, tee-hee-ing, chuckling, or giggling as they read. I come from a family of strong, silent type of readers. If we were in a poker tournament of reading, my family would definitely win over the Fleming family as you wouldn't be able to tell if we were reading a comedy or tragedy. I think I have vigorously laughed outloud once over a book - it must have been super funny. But I must admit, I do find myself showing a wee bit more expression on my face now as I read. I smile some or quietly chuckle over amusing parts instead of keeping it all to myself. It's definitely not belly laughing like Aaron does while reading, but I'm learning.

David has definitely inherited Aaron's ability to emote through his books. He's a bookworm to begin with and has always been a very jovial boy, so it's only natural for him to cackle frequently over anything remotely amusing to him - which apparently is a lot. I actually really like hearing him laugh like that. It never fails to make me smile. And the funny thing is that he's completely oblivious to the outside world when he's reading (another thing he got from his father), so he's unaware that anyone else is laughing with him (at him?). I like finding him in various positions as he reads. Here are some of my favorites... When the table is messy, opt for the floor
Laundry baskets make the perfect self-contained reading area.

Sure, why not?
I sometimes have to kick him outside to go and play when he's been reading for too long indoors. Here is his interpretation of my "Go outside and play."

Ana isn't quite as verbally expressive when she reads as David is. She does titter a bit here and there when amused. But she's mainly more expressive with her face. You can tell if she's to any part in the book that's starting to get intense as her face expresses whatever emotion she is reading about. Sometimes her body will get all tense too during exciting moments. It's also pretty fun to walk past and know pretty much what she's reading about just by looking at her body language.
Abby hasn't started to read yet, but I look forward to seeing what kind of reader she will turn out to be. I'm delighted by the love my children have for books. It's something that will never get old.
So how about the rest of you? Are you laugh-out-loud type readers, or ones who keep it all inside? Leave a comment!


Comments

  1. Since I am your mother...I am one of the "poker" face readers...though once and a while I will wipe a tear...the laughter...I keep to myself. I did have to laugh at loud at the pictures of David's position. Very funny.
    HA ! HA ! HA !

    We have learned NOT to give Aaron his Christmas gift...if it is a book at the beginning of the evening or he will go into his own la-la land and never be heard from again !!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look