5 Lbs.

This morning, as I donned my running layers to stay warm while I ran, I wondered how much extra weight it made me carry around.  So I weighed myself before I got dressed and after.  I found out that I lug around 5 extra pounds of clothing while I run in the winter.  This does not include shoes - clothing only.  This morning's run was a bit treacherous.  We had a warmish day a few days ago filled with a lot of mushy sleet the entire day.  Then it got cold and all the mushy sleet froze into solid ice.  There were many moments - especially going up and down hills where our footing was quite filled with angst as we would slip and slide around.  We've run in worse - where we ended up skating on the roads instead of running.  There was definitely no hope for any sort of speed today.  So a slow shuffly trot it was.

I made my new recipe for yummy squash again last night.  I will now finally post the recipe that I promised you all so long ago.  I know you've been waiting on pins and needles ever since I mentioned it.  I used the mystery volunteer squash from my in-laws yard this past summer.  It randomly grew in the asparagas patch.

I decided that last night would be it's last night here on earth.  I butchered it and used it in my fancy recipe that calls for butternut squash.  This squash (whatever it is - my mom-in-law knows) was just as good, if not better than butternut.  So if you ever see one that looks like this in the store, buy it.  : )  So, without further ado, here is the long awaited for recipe:

1 butternut squash (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch chunks.
1/4 c. brown sugar
3 T. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper.

Mix all together in a bowl until squash is coated.  Transfer to rimmed baking sheet lined with foil, lightly coated with cooking spray.  Roast at 425 degrees, stirring every 15 minutes for 45 minutes total and when squash is completely tender.  Once finished roasting, sprinkle squash with 1 t. of cider vinegar and stir to coat. 

My squash was closer to 5 pounds, so I doubled the recipe and still have some leftover, despite my great efforts to eat all of it.  David enjoys this type of squash.  He does not like squash when I make it any other way.  Ana, however, went from squash lover to squash hater in this recipe.  Abby remains neutral as she can't decide which sibling to follow for this opinion.  At least someone will like squash when I make it what ever way I desire that night. 

I am sorry that I don't have any pictures of my beautiful finished product.  It does look very attractive.  I've been a bit lax in my picture taking.  I'll try harder next time.  : )

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look