Food Addictions

I have eating issues.  I get a little out of control when it comes to certain foods that borders a bit on psychosis.  When I get fixated on a certain food, that's all I want to eat.  Every day.  For every meal.  Unfortunately, I have a family that doesn't share that trait of mine.  It's very irritating.  I suppose having to cook for a family makes me a more rounded eater, but there are times when I'd really rather just eat my fixation food and let everyone else fend for themselves.  Here are my latest food fixations from the past while in no particular order.  Some are short lived - others have been around for a long time.

1.  "Cuties" (little mandarin oranges) - my fixation on them started last fall.  I buy two 2 lb. bags every time I go shopping.  It lasts our family about a week.  This is one of the only fixations my family, the girls especially, share with me.

2.  Avocados - a recent addition to my food fixation.  I think up ways to use them on everything.  My favorite way right now is on salads.  Aaron was concerned the last time I went shopping when he saw the quantity I brought home.  He suggested an intervention of some sort might be necessary.

3.  Peanut Butter on Apples - my new favorite snack.  I just got done eating one right now.  I had a whole apple to myself, but David saw it and coveted my apple, so I gave half of it to him.  Aren't I a good mom?

4.  Almond Butter - I haven't tried almond butter on apples yet.  It might put me over the top in euphoria.  I've been rationing my almond butter as I got too generous with the kids with it and now I am low. 

5.  Salads - I LOVE salads!  I even eat them for breakfast when I have leftovers from the night before.  I have discovered it's nearly impossible to get full from eating a salad - meaning you can eat a HUGE pile of it.  I only stop when my jaws get tired of chewing. 

6.  Blue cheese - I've learned people either love it or hate it.  I'm definitely loving it.  It goes great on my salads.

7.  Honey roasted sunflower seeds - also a great salad topping, but fun to eat raw.  It gives me sweetness without going all out on sugar.

8.  Roasted sweet potatoes - This has been a kick for nearly a year now.  I sometimes (when I don't have to cook a meal for pesky people) will pick out a ginormous sweet potato, roast it, and have that as my meal.  Occasionally I'll add one of the above fixations for a little more variety.  But I'm completely happy with just a sweet potato.  That was my supper on Wednesday night. 

9.  Peanut Butter on Ice Cream - I add peanut butter to ice cream at every chance I get now.  Ice cream just doesn't cut it with me anymore unless it has peanut butter on it.  I used to scoff at that.  Now I'm addicted.

And then there are seasonal things that I only eat when in season, but I try to make up for lost time by consuming as much as possible:

10.  Sweet Corn - When I was pregnant with David, Aaron was out of town for a week at one point.  I spent three days in a row eating nothing but sweet corn for lunch and supper.  It was glorious.  That is the one thing I crave to grow on my own if I had a huge garden area.  It would help cut down on my sweet corn bill and also give me more license to eat more of it.  Right now, I have to limit my consumption lest I spend all my grocery money on sweet corn. 

11.  Strawberries - I love strawberry freezer jam, but I never have enough access to having a surplus of strawberries with which to make jam.  Every berry is precious in my sight and must be consumed as rapidly as possible to prevent my girls from eating all of them first.  I'm not sure how many strawberries are needed to have a surplus in my mind in order to allocate some to the making of jam.  I've never reached that level. 

12.  Peaches - Fresh peaches are amazing!  I think we went through two bushels as a family just eating them fresh last summer.  I had plans of making pies and other desserts, and freezing or canning some, but they never made it that far.

There you have it.  You all did bad at commenting on my last post - meaning, you didn't.  So I'll try again with a new question:  What are some of your food fixations?  Or are you normal and crave balance in your eating patterns?

Comments

  1. I'm a food fixater as well. I usually eat said food until I can't stand the sight of it and likely never put it in my mouth ever again. Unfortunately my current diet is very restrictive, so I don't get to fixate on much, but a few of my old fixations:

    Dark Zone protein bars -- actually a current fixation. My only source of chocolate and so yum.

    Hot dogs and tater tots -- that was my favorite meal for the longest time. I looooove hot dogs.

    Lingonberry Jam from Ikea. Every morning for breakfast.

    Chicken quesadillas -- drove my husband crazy because I could have eaten them every single meal, if he'd allowed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I fixate, but there are things I fix for myself when Tom's away that he doesn't particularly care for. Tom is on call tonight and will be at the office another 1/2 hour ??, so I made farfalle pasta with pesto. When it was cooked and drained I added some milk and chopped spinach and simmered that until the spinach was wilted. Then I added some of my home-made pine-nut pesto, grated parmesan cheese and some chopped walnuts and stirred the mixture until the cheese had melted and the pesto was mixed into the pasta. Had some cooked red beets for another veg and a small glass of red wine. Now that is a home-alone kind of meal. For dessert some Lion Tea (ask the kids what that is!) and a couple small pieces of medium dark milk chocolate with almond bits. There is some pasta left. If he doesn't want it when he gets home it will make a lovely lunch tomorrow. YUMMMMM. MomK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, you and I share quite a few fixations. Sweet potatoes! Cannot get enough of them! Fruit of all kinds. I can eat a bag of apples in one day if I don't watch myself! PB. Loved making freezer jams in Idaho from my berry patches. I go through periods craving salads, but only with vinagrette dressings. Sometimes I just crave anything vinegary. Three bean salad (I ate two cans on Thursday!) Dill pickles or pickled beets. Raw peas, even frozen raw peas! Think I burned myself out on avocados. Not craving them anymore. Fresh corn from my own garden in Idaho. Brocoli and cauliflower. Sometimes they taste SOOOO good. I have discovered that often what I am craving is what is needed for my body at the moment, like when I was pregnant, had low blood pressure, and craved meat and tomatoes. Turns out increased protein and Vitamin C is the dietary solution to low blood pressure! PS. I have some gluten containing products to give you. Flour, bisquik... Can't use them any more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would food fixate with you any day! I could do the blue cheese on the salad but would prefer a 10-year cheddar. And, we would have a great time during sweet corn season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I fixate on something its a breakfast lunch and supper thing. All day everyday. For a long time it was french fries with mayo and ketchup. I still eat tenderloins. I have ate all my pig tenderloins so I am back to buying whole ones and haveing them cut up. Nutella on my everything bread. Then I added bacon to the mix and it was soooo good. When its corn time I also will eat it for all meals. There was times when I would stay in missouri and that was the meal. That and icky tomatoes. So you filled up on corn. For awhile it was scrambled eggs with cheese. Things are so random with me. I do agree your not so weird on your "loves".

    ReplyDelete
  6. every time I read your blog I'm amazed at what a sweet, patient, kind, loving husband you have! you are SO LUCKY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm kind of the opposite. I don't see how Steve can eat the same same cereal every single morning. I like to mix it up and get annoyed when the leftovers last too long. BTW, you should try substituting almond butter in for peanut butter in cookies. YUM.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look