School Fun

On Friday, the kids were supposed to have their Friday classes, but they were cancelled since not all the snow had been plowed yet from the snow storm.  So we stayed home and decided to have a fun day in school since Friday classes are a highlight for the kids.  We've been reading about the ancient Greeks in history, so we tried our hand at building the Parthenon from gingerbread.  They had a lot of fun doing it (I did too).  But I think they had the most fun playing with the remaining dough and making various creations from that for me to bake. 
We ate the Parthenon for dessert that night. 
We also tried our hand at "stone carving" after looking at some of the amazing statues the Greeks carved.  We used Ivory bar soap.  It's nice and soft and can be carved with toothpicks and butter knives.  It made the house smell quite clean.  Here they are hard at work.


We still have plans to make a Trojan horse at some point.  But we ran out of time and enthusiasm for more projects.  Perhaps we'll get that made this week.  I think they'll like it.

Other noteworthy news from the weekend...
  • I ran 6.5 miles outside on Saturday.  It was a good run.  I took my time and focused more on enjoying myself verses going for speed
  • Ana had a friend overnight on Friday night.
  • I did a pile of baking on Saturday - made a birthday cake for a friend, several kinds of quick bread, and several loaves of oatmeal bread.
  • Hosted the birthday party for said friend on Saturday evening - a fun night
  • Hosted a small Super Bowl gathering Sunday night.  Ate way too many nachos.  And the Packers won!  I figured the Steelers would win since I wanted the Packers to win, but my wish was granted!
  • Had friends over for Sunday lunch after church.  Definitely enjoyable.
  • Took a nap between gatherings Sunday afternoon. 
  • My house got clean and stayed clean through the weekend.  Amazing!
  • Gave David a piano lesson (I earned a mark on my reward chart!)
This week should be a good week - nothing too taxing going on and I have a few fun gathering planned that I don't have to host.  Yea!  And I have all my laundry folded from today being my laundry day, and it's only 3:00!  Usually, I don't get it done until after the kids go to bed in the evening.  I feel on top of things today!  Yea me!  I should get a mark on my reward chart for that one too.  But that's not listed on earning list.  I may have to lobby for that one.

Comments

  1. I am amazed at all you do. Made me tired just to read it.

    Neat Partheon...good thing you didn't use glue to put it together since you ate it.

    I remember carving a sheep out of Ivory soap when I was in grade school. Great fun but I sneezed the whole time I was doing it !!! Allergies...ever since...do not like Ivory soap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love writing down what I did, it makes me feel like I actually did something! Love your gingerbread :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look