Weekend Project & Sick Days

I've had a project that I've wanted to get done since we moved in the house almost 8 years ago.  I finally decided that this past weekend was the weekend to start working on it.  Our stairwell to the upstairs has been needing a little love and attention for awhile now.  It was starting to get worse.  Here is a picture so you can see for yourself.
So on Saturday, I tore down the old plaster that was fall apart anyway - it didn't take long and then replaced it with drywall.  I got the tape on as well as the first layer of mud.  Today, I will put on the second coat of mud and possibly the third coat this evening if everything has dried out.  I also want to skim coat the stairwell walls with some mud to even things out over the old plaster.  Probably ideally, I should rip out all that old plaster and completely redo it with drywall.  But it's taken me 8 years to get around to this project that I don't want to push my luck with more.  It sure does feel good to take some steps in getting it done.  Yea!  I'll post some finished pictures when it finally gets done so you can enjoy the before and after.

David and Ana were sick with fevers over the weekend.  I stayed home from church yesterday to take care of them.  They were both pretty miserable.  They didn't even want to watch a movie - that's sick!  Abby was doing fine and got to go to the church roller skating time with me.  She took care to buy some candy at the concession stand so that she could bring some home to share with David and Ana.  That was sweet of her.  This morning, both David and Ana woke up without any fever.  I hope it stays that way for the rest of the day.  Abby, however, is taking her turn at being sick.  She woke up with the fever now.  : (  But now that Ana is feeling better, she is making it her mission to take care of her little sister.
Ana set up this little station for Abby by the couch - she has some water, orange slices, books, her stuffed animal, blanket and pillow.  Ana spent time reading to Abby from her books, getting her kleenexes when she needs them.  I think right now that Ana is busily making a crown for Abby to wear while she is sick.  I have such tender hearted kids who love each other so much.  Makes my Mama's heart happy and helps me when they have their moments when I wonder if they care for each other at all. 

I had a funny conversation with David last night when he wandered downstairs at 9:30 - an hour and a half past the time I put him to bed.  The following is our conversation as best as I can remember it:
Mom:  David, what are you doing downstairs?  Are you feeling worse?
David:  I...I want to...
Mom:  Do you feel yucky?
David:   No, I just thought...umm....I want to come...
Mom:  Do you need something?
David:  I want to play with (mumble, mumble)...Dad's....
Mom:  Is something wrong?
David:  No... I...(mumble)...tell you...(looking like he could cry)
Mom:  Are you feeling sad about something?
David:  No... I...(mumble)...umm....
Mom:  Are you awake?
David:  Yes.
Mom:  (laughing) You haven't completed a sentence yet, are you sure you're awake?
David:  (giggling) Yes, I'm awake.
Mom:  Is there something you need to show me?
David:  Ummm... (mumble)... upstairs.
Mom:  Okay, let's go upstairs and you can show me what you need to show me.
David:  Okay.
We get to the top of the stairs and David turns to me and says:
David: (laughing) This is really strange.
Mom:  (also laughing) Yes, this is.
David goes to his sleeping spot and climbs into his sleeping bag.
Mom:  So you're going to bed now?
David:  Yes.
Mom:  Was there something you needed to show me?
David:  No
Mom:  David, are you awake? 
David:  (laughing) Yes!
Mom:  Okay, well, good night then.
David:  Good night.

I went downstairs, laughing, and uncertain as to what just happened.  This morning I asked David if he remembered any of that.  He did not.  I'm pretty sure he wasn't awake.  He got a kick out of when I told him about it. 

Comments

  1. It is a breath of fresh air. Your children are the most caring children for each other I have ever seen. If I give one something...say like a cookie...they have to always make sure that I give them 2 more so that they can give it to the other two! Really sweet to see..unless of course they are eating the other two cookies on the way upstairs ! HA ! I know they aren't...as I said a breath of fresh air. As for David...make sure you double bolt the doors so he doesn't wander over to Casey's or take the family car out for a spin !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what great stories - your kids ARE loving toward one-another! Hope Abby is well soon. Give her a hug from me. Funny how a project can take so long to get around to...yeah, I've got some like that...Love MomK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, don't fuss about it taking eight years to get done! You had babies or toddlers around those eight years! Just be relieved that now you can do some of these projects!

    Peter was a sleepwalker until we left Idaho. It was amusing at times.

    Your kids are so loving. I enjoy reading about them.
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look