Hungry

It seems that I don't feed my children.  Ever.  They eat a meal and within 30 minutes of finishing that meal, they appear near death's door from hunger.  I'm not sure where they put it.  Ana has been especially hungry lately.  I definitely don't know where she is putting the large amounts of food she has been eating.  She must be getting ready for a growth spurt.  I do know that I am back into the phase of despising the words, "I'm hungry.  Can I have a snack?"  I hear them at least 30 times each day.  It seems that my kids would snack all day long if I would let them.  But I try to have times for eating/snacking and times to suffer from starvation/malnourishment (at least that's how they feel).  I do not want them to get into the habit of grazing all day long - it's a habit I've had to break myself from.  It's really easy to do when you are home all day long and spend lots of time in or very near the kitchen. 

I finally got my 10 bonus points for doing the taxes today.  I didn't reward myself until everything was completely finished and sent off.  I did that this afternoon.  I couldn't decide which reward to put it towards, so I spread it out among several options so that I could decide later on which reward to fill up depending on the mood of the day.  I did fill up my ice cream reward, so I think I will take advantage of that later on tonight to celebrate another year of taxes being done.

David had a random funny quote the other day.  He was watching Abby eat her shredded wheat cereal with disgust because she had put milk on it.  He sat there eating his dry bowl of whole grain flakes with a glass of water and said, "I can't believe that some people actually put milk on their cereal."  I had to let him know that actually, he was in the minority on this one.  Most people eat their cereal with milk. 

Julie and I went for a run this morning.  It was a balmy 5 degrees out this morning with a icy, cold wind from the west.  I wore an extra layer and stayed warm, with the exception of the bridge of my nose.  That was the only exposed skin and it got cold. 

Speaking of cold, I just finished a book about surviving the extremes.  It was quite fascinating about how the body can adapt to extremes (temps, stress, environment, etc.).  Through that, I realized that I have absolutely no desire whatsoever to ever climb Mt. Everest or go anywhere very cold.  I spend too much of my life feeling miserably cold already that I would not want to deliberately put myself in that situation.  If I had to survive an extreme, I'd rather be hot.  I can adapt much better to heat than cold.  Too bad Iowa is cold for much of the year. 

Abby seems to have adapted well to the cold.  She has spent the day in a pair of tights and a shirt.  That's warm clothing for her.  She's usually barefoot and often in one of her summer dresses.  It makes me cold to look at her.  I usually have on at least three layers on top - sometimes more.  But I guess I also don't spend my day racing around the house and getting warm that way. 

Comments

  1. David sounds like Uncle Brian when he was a little boy....dry cereal and a glass of water. Come to think of it...when I eat cereal (not often)..I eat it dry too...minus the glass of water !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm like David - I only put milk on cheerios - everything else is dry!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look