Attitude Adjustment

I've been having "one of those days."  Days where you feel overwhelmed by all there is to do and how little time you have to do it.  The weekend was hectic and fun, but left me with mountains of undone tasks.  Sigh.  That's how I felt when I woke up this morning.  Another sigh.  I tried writing a post this morning and it felt too whiney, so I deleted it.  My purpose in posting isn't to make you feel sorry for me, because really, is my life all that different from yours and all that you have on you? 

This afternoon, while I was doing my dishes (which is a good time to think), I was reminded of a little magazine article/blurb I read a few weeks ago.  It talked of changing your attitude.  It was all good stuff and things I am constantly telling my children - "you can't change the responsibilities you have to do (chores, schoolwork, sibling behavior), but you can change how you view them and respond to them and that will make your life feel so much nicer".  So after listening to myself whine and complain in my head all morning, I decided it was time to put my near daily kid sermon into action.  So here goes:

1.  There are days when I don't want to homeschool my children.  Attitude adjustment:  I am thankful that I get to be the one to teach my children and be actively involved daily in their lives.  I like seeing them finally "get it" when we are working on something difficult for them.

2.  I feel like I clean all the time and the house is still a mess.  Attitude adjustment:  My kids stay at home all day and enjoy the creative play they engage in.  It does make messes, but they do help clean it up.  A messy house also means that people live here.  Someday I won't have to deal with toys and messes, but that will mean that my children have all grown up.  I will enjoy this time while it lasts.

3.  I rarely get time to myself without constant interruptions.  Attitude adjustment:  My children love me!  They want to share their thoughts and ideas with me.  I want this!  I do not want them to be uncommunicative with me. 

4.  I get tired of dealing with sibling squabbles.  Attitude adjustment:  They are learning problem solving skills through me.  I am constantly touched at how much they really do love each other and look out for each other out in the "real world".  They really are good kids.

5.  Figuring out what to make for meals is tiring and I don't want to do it all the time.  Attitude adjustment:  Aaron works hard all day long so that I can stay home and take care of our family.  This is part of my "job description".  Somedays it's not as fun, but most days cooking is a pleasure for me.  I like making good food that my family, especially Aaron enjoys. 

So maybe this doesn't magically get me out of my funk, but choosing to see the way God has blessed me instead of focusing on the negative does make a difference in my total outlook if I continue to choose the blessing side of it.  I've had to remind myself several times today on various points and variations of the above.  It's not always the easiest choice, especially when I'm in the mood to wallow.  But wallowing in my "mood" is not fun for anyone, really.  So I'm working hard at standing up and shedding the mud of my negative attitude today.  The day's not over yet!

Comments

  1. LOVED this.

    I can't understand the kid stuff, but I understand the meal stuff. Then I remember that I really do love to cook. And if all else fails, I make soup or something, which is easy and just tossing stuff in a pot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is a good reminder for all of us to check our attitudes in life. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look