Goodbye Stanley

Yes, it's true, this weekend we said goodbye to Stanley.  I had been thinking about it and wanting to have him gone for quite some time.  So I compared the pros and cons of keeping him.

Pros:
1.  The children love him.

Cons:
1. he's not a very well behaved kitty 
      a.  constantly ripping open any package of anything left anywhere remotely in the open except in a cupboard, unless it's in one of the cupboards he can open up and get into it to continue to rip open packages (flour, cat food, bread, etc.).  VERY irritating.
      b.  makes messes (see point a.)
      c.  getting on the kitchen counter (to do point a.)
2. getting him neutered will cost $$$
3. leaving him as a "man" will be bad
      a.  unwanted amorous advances towards Joey (he was beginning to approach Joey in this way in his unaltered super-charged hormone state)
      b. marking his territory - need I say more?  He did this once in the bathroom.  Yuck.
4.  Joey hates him.  See point 3a.
5.  cleaning a litter box for two cats.  Another yuck - especially since Stanley will not use the litter box if it goes too long without being cleaned out.
6.  claws + furniture = much anger from me. 
These six points were still not enough to outweigh the pro of keeping Stanley.
But there was a seventh and more important point that tipped the scales out of Stanley's favor.
7.  I had promised Aaron that I would not keep any of the kittens that the mama cat had in our yard.  I promised I would find homes for all of them.  I aim to be a woman of my word and want my children to be the same way.  Therefore, I had to own up to my mistake in letting the kids become attached to Stanley and allowing him in the house like I did. 

After explaining all of this to the children, we took Stanely over to a friend's house where he will live outside like he always wanted.  David was sad, but okay with it especially since he was going to live at a friend's house and he could go and visit him sometimes.  The girls took it much harder - Ana especially.  Abby cried some, but a lot of it was just following the emotions of Ana.  Ana was VERY sad and quite heartbroken over leaving Stanley behind.  She is still a bit sad about it.  But, she thinks less about it everyday.  Joey is VERY happy about our decision.  He seems much more loving and peaceful and not so jumpy.  And today, he didn't have to share the tuna water at all with Stanley when I made Aaron's lunch.  I am happy too to be back to one well behaved cat.  It will make life just a bit easier.  So farewell Stanley, I hope you are enjoying your new life.  May it be full of food, females, and fun.

Comments

  1. Aw, sad! Stanley! He takes such funny pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah poor stanley! I wish him the best. Sounds like you made the RIGHT call though. Good job momma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You missed one MAJOR point...your mom is extremely allergic to cats ....hum ?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look