Top 10 Words That Irritate Me

While I don't consider myself a grammar/word snob, there are certain words currently in vogue that irritate me to no end.  Maybe it's because I'm pregnant and have a higher level of sensitivity to irritating things these days. These words are usually just a shortening of the actual word, as if we were too lazy to finish saying the word we started.  If you are one of the people who consistently uses any or all of the following words, please do not be offended.  I will not accost you if you end up using one of my "Top 10 Words That Irritate Me".  Nor will I stop liking you. I will merely pretend you used a different word and go on my merry little way.  Really, I'm not neurotic.  Really.  However, if you begin using these words around me because of this post, I will not be held accountable for my actions.  You asked for it.  So without further ado, here are my Top 10 Words That Irritate Me, in no particular order

1.  Preggers.  I am not preggers.  I will never be preggers.  I do not know anyone who ever has or will be preggers either.  I have enough issues with nausea while pregnant without you using this word.  The same goes for any variation of the word - preggo, preggie, etc.

2.  Delish.  Every time someone comments on something being so delish, I have to almost physically stop myself from adding the "ous" to the end. 

3. Vacay.  If you are so stressed out that you can't even finish the word because you need one so badly, then please take a lovely vacation, relax, come home, and THEN tell me about what an awesome vacaTION you had.

4. Moist.  I don't know why this word irritates me.  It just does.  Please find a different word.

5. Scrumptious - Again, not sure why this word bothers me, but it just sounds gross, not scrumptious.

6. Lush - Same as #4 and #5 - just a gross word.  Say it softly and slowly - you'll see what I mean.

7. Veggies - This word actually doesn't bother me, but it bothers Aaron.  I have learned to not use it around him.

8. "Love me some _______" - This little gem of a phrase reminds me of a two year old.  If you are two and use it, that is okay.  You are still learning proper grammar syntax.  If you are 32 and use it, that is not okay.

9. Awesomesauce - I actually haven't heard this one in a little while now.  Let's hope it's losing popularity. It only serves to remind me of applesauce, not something awesome.  Now applesauce can be awesome.  But awesomesauce is not awesome.

10. Using text abbreviations in real written works - I do not mind text abbreviations when you are texting.  I understand the need for quick and easy writing from a phone.  That's not an issue for me. But when u use it 2 rite something 4 real, I have a hard time thinking u r not a hi skool grl. Lol. No offense if you are in fact a high school girl.  High school girls are lovely.  I used to be one.

What about you?  Are there words/phrases that irritate you when you hear them? or am I just abnormal?  Bonus points to you if you can use all my irritating words in a sentence in the comment section!

Comments

  1. Currently I have only one word that I know of that irritates me. Jared says the word "ight" instead of alright...It may just be a teenager thing but Im pretty sure I remember teaching him the correct way to use the word..as always I love reading your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was preggers with my last child and on vacay in FL (which btw the air is so moist there which creates such lush vegetation, lol!), I told my awesomesauce hubby that I would love me some delish scrumptious veggies and he rushed to get me some, 4 real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm still chuckling! Good work!

      Delete
  3. Melissa--I completely agree with every single one of these irritations!! Preggers and Preggo....really?! Those always rub me the wrong way. Also in reference to pregnancy is the phrase "bun in the oven." So irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I must run with a different crowd. I never have heard any of those words. The word that I hate is the word FLESH ! Say that one out loud a few times...just makes my "flesh" crawl !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing and nodding my head "yes" as I write this! I would add the word panties to the list. Have always hated it, always will. Just say underwear...or undies. Is undies okay? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my twisted little mind also finds pleasure in referring to Aaron's underwear as panties. He seems to get upset whenever I refer to them as such. :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Melanie!! Guys get upset when you call their underware panties. Mine gets very irate. I taught all my cousins kids to call them diggers. I also taught them to say Gag me with a spoon. Very cute coming from a 2 year old. Cant wait to teach new girl Fleming such great things. Although I even text real words thats why I got a decent phone for such things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE the use of "prolly" intead of probably. Unfortunately, so few people pronounce probably correctly that it will probably disappear and become prolly.

    I also miss the irregular verb tenses that were common in literature - dove for the past tense of dive, not dived, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love reading your blogs! Miss you so much!:) My word is 'pus!' GROSS! That's all I can say about that, it freaks me out!:-p
    Jenny Detwiler:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this. You're awesome. Awesomesauce.

    I hate "congratulations" and "congrats."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look