New Season

Tomorrow begins a new season in our lives.  David starts 7th grade tomorrow! We are starting school a little earlier this year than normal since we'll be taking a lot of time off in December to welcome a new little girl into our family. I always get excited and nervous at the start of each new year. This year is no exception. I decided to try planning out my entire school year in advance instead of my usual week by week approach.  I'm hoping that cuts down on my workload as well as my days of feeling unmotivated and not doing school, and that it will give David more responsibility in getting his work done.  But I did try to make sure to plan in some wiggle room days so that it's not all work and no play.  Second semester has more wiggle room than first semester.  We're going to try to hammer down the first semester and get a lot done so that we can relax a little more once baby is born.

The girls start school next week. I have some mixed feelings about it.  While I am very relieved with the break from teaching three at home and enjoyed planning only for one, I get a little misty eyed everytime I think about sending them off to school every day for all day.  This is going to be so different for me.  It's hard to let it go and entrust my precious little girls to the care of their teachers. I suppose every mother goes through this when they send their kids off to school. I think the girls will enjoy it greatly. And as I tell them, if it's not working out and they end up really not liking it, we can re-evaluate after the school year if it's worth going another year or if we should go back to homeschool. For the most part, I'm succeeding at not feeling guilty over my lack of ability to teach three at home while anticipating a newborn (I have homeschool mom friends who seem to be able to do it with ease with more children than I have!).  But I still do have my moments where I feel like I have failed and am taking the easy way out.  Thankfully, I have a good support system built in with Aaron who is supporting me 100% in this decision. I don't think I could handle it if he weren't in my corner. I imagine I will have more feelings and thoughts to work through especially this first month as we all adjust to a new season in our lives.

On other news, now that the Olympics are over, I will find it easier to go to bed earlier at night. Too many late nights cheering for my favorite teams and people. We also got up at 5:00 on Sunday morning to watch the men's marathon.  Aaron, David, and I enjoyed some early morning coffee and cinnamon rolls while watching the race.  The girls opted to sleep in. 

What about you? Are you an Olympics fan?  What's your favorite sport to watch?  Any new changes for any of you this coming school year?

Comments

  1. I imagine you will have some feelings of guilt because you are so conscientious about the girls but you gave them a good foundation the years you taught them and they are in a good school district..so relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bawled and bawled driving home from taking each and every one of my three sons to kindergarten the whole first week! It did not get any easier no matter how many times I went through it. Second week I just cried on the way home. Third week just choking down sobs. Of course, I did not have a wonderful school system to leave them too. The schools in Idaho were run by the "d*** Mormons" and tried to indoctrinate the kids in to mindlessly following orders. So it was with great trepidation I let them go to school. My ex was not at all supportive of the idea of me homeschooling them, even though I was not working outside of the home at the time. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recognizing one's limitations and taking thoughtful, appropriate action is wisdom, not failure. You have not failed, you have just been wise! Blessings as you go into this new year, with all it's inherent adjustments; look for the joy! MomK

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - Thanks for sharing your feelings, too - that's important. I just want to encourage you in your wise decision. Love, MomK

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not pushing the girls out because you're lazy or have failed - you're choosing what is best for your family and for them. They both LOVED the opportunity to get out and meet new friends and experience school. You are being such a good parent to let them try this new thing that they like! And you're allowing David to stay where he thrives and grows best, too. You are simply altering things as your family alters and grows!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look