Christmas Dinner

Last night as I was making dinner, I realized that pretty much everything I was making was red and green.  My salad had red pepper from my garden, fresh garden tomatoes with corn ready to mix in with my pasta (which incidentally was the tri-colored pasta and had red and green in it), along with a bowlful of homemade pesto.  And our all time summer favorite of marinated tomatoes and cucumbers. Not pictured is our red watermelon.  I felt festive as I gazed upon my meal.
Close up of our favorite summer dish.  Use equal parts olive oil to balsamic vinegar/red wine vinegar, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and fresh basil and parsley.  Pour it over sliced tomatoes and let it sit for 10-30 minutes. We could eat this everyday - and we almost do, despite how I get heartburn right now from all my tomato eating.  It's too good to let a little pregnancy heartburn slow me down!
Today, I picked tomatoes out at my garden at my mom's.  I got 6 plastic grocery sacks full of tomatoes.  I made an arrangement with my mother-in-law, whose tomatoes aren't doing so well this year.  I supply her with tomatoes and she cans them and keeps a portion for herself and gives me the rest.
She also dropped off this box of deliciousness for me when she stopped by to pick up the tomatoes.  I'm not sure, but I'm thinking I'm getting the better end of this bargain.
Blueberries and bing cherries, how I love you! I will need to hide these from my girls or they will be gone before I can enjoy them! Thank you Kay for the early birthday gift!  Now if you'll excuse me, I have some cherries that are calling my name out in the kitchen. 

Comments

  1. How wonderful of your mother-in-law. What a nice lady she is. I do somehow think you got the best deal !!!! Your own mother should be so kind !!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must try the tomato-cucumber salad recipe...and it's time to make some pesto... and, well...the whole spread looks splendid! In NM, when you order enchiladas (and other foods) in a restaurant you'll be asked, "red, green or Christmas?" so you can indicate the type of sauce you want. Your meal was a mid-western version of "Christmas"! And hey, I'm happy with the tomato canning deal :) - MomK PS - this rain may bring on my tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look