Chickens, Fairies, and Cravings

We've been taking care of my in-laws chickens while were gone this past week.  I wait until the girls get home from school to do this chore, as they love to help!
While the chickens are let out to get some exercise, dust baths, and fresh air, the girls happily go tromping off through the woods to build fairy houses.
They had already put the roof on by the time I got there to take a picture, so you can't see all the cute little furnishings they made for the fairies on the inside.
The one day I did bring my camera was the day it was just about ready to start raining.  Therefore, these pictures in the woods look dark and dreary.  Just imagine beautiful afternoon sunlight streaming through the golden leaves and you'll have every day except this one.  :)
Yesterday, the girls found an exceptionally large egg in the coop.  We suspected it might be a double egg.
We cracked it open for breakfast this morning.  Yep, a double egg it was!  They were very excited and wished that Grandma Kay could have seen it.  I told them that she'd see it here on the blog.
I had several dessert cravings and really wanted to make these things for awhile.  Thankfully, it was my turn to make treats for the youth groups yesterday.  The nice thing about preteens and teenagers is that if you make them food, they will eat it.  Every last little bit of it.  So I was able to fulfill my cravings and then give the rest away.  These are s'more drops for the high school youth.  Golden grahams, marshmallows covered in a yummy chocolate sauce and left to firm back up.  Delicious!
And here is the twinkie cake I made for the middle school youth group.  Unfortunately, there are still six pieces left this morning.  Abby told me that there was one piece for each of us in the family.  I guess I'll have to eat that 6th piece myself to deliver it to the baby.  It's tough being pregnant.  :)
And finally, since I seem to be picture happy today, here is a picture of my avocado tree that Ana and I started from a pit last year.  It's still alive!  And growing!  This is a poor quality picture, but at the very top are about 4-5 new leaves beginning to emerge.  I wonder how long I can keep this thing alive - and how big it will ever get?
Questions for you:
- Are you good at keeping plants alive inside?
- Any food cravings out there that need to be fulfilled?

Comments

  1. I've always wanted to try an avocado tree! I'm shocked at how big it is after only a year. I have a miniature orange tree in a pot that I've had for 8 years. It's my pride and joy. It produced teeny tiny oranges this year for the first time ever. I also have 2 palm trees, 2 habanero plants and a dying ficus that is hanging on for dear life. I think avocados would grow great here so I may have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a bit of luck with plants. I help them hang on for dear life till I can put them outdoors for the summer ! I have a plant from your brother's wedding that is 13 years old and a plant from your grandmother's funeral that is 8 years old. And as far as food cravings...I would say your cheesecake or your lemon bars..if you care to bake them both...I would take them off of your hands...to keep you from eating too much !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look