Garden Surprise

I had a lovely surprise this weekend.
I tried planting some cauliflower this year in my garden (three plants) and due to the heat and lack of rain, they didn't seem to be doing anything at all other than getting super leafy.  So I forgot about it and figured I'd pull them up once I got around to cleaning off my garden (not sure if that's happening this year or not...).  Anyway, I glanced out at my garden this weekend and happened to see these two beautiful heads of cauliflower poking out among the prolific leaves of the plant.  The huge one on the right - about 10-11 inches in diameter was a bit past its prime, but still quite edible.  I roasted much of it for supper on Saturday night and topped it with a bit of browned butter - can't ask for a more delicious or simple dish.  The one on the left is absolutely perfect - bigger and better than anything you find in a store.  It's almost a shame to eat something so beautiful!  But don't worry, we will soon scarf it down.  I'm a big fan of cauliflower.

Are you a cauliflower lover, hater, or neutral about it?

Comments

  1. Love cauliflower. Those are quite the heads. I tried growing it for the first time and seem to follow all the rules of tying the leaves up around the head ,etc and all mine did was turn black and yucky. Congratulations on being a fine cauliflower grower !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on your beautiful cauliflower! It's so much fun to discover veggies that grew inspite of environmental conditions and/or neglect! And roasting it sounds lovely. I'm thinking that the heat and drought arrested the development of the heads at a stage just before the plant would normally have begun to form the head, and the plant for some reason did not "button" (make tiny heads) but held off formation of the head until cooler fall temperatures and rain kicked.When conditions were optimal for forming a head, or "curd", the plant took off, and there you have it. CLD, I've never had success with tying cauliflower either - same yucky results. Melissa, were your transplants small when you put them in? Premature buttoning can happen if transplants were too large or root bound when transplanted. Anyway, congrats and bon apetit! MomK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that cutting off the feet of panty hose and putting this over the plants when they are small helps and the panty hose expands as the plant grows, keeps the leave over the head and keeps bugs off of the plant...not that my children KNOW what panty hose are. I find it funny that my grandchildren ask what that is on my legs ...never have seen them on their mothers!!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look