Heartbroken Little Girl

I had to tell my little girl some sad news today.  Abby had seen a giant bear similar to this one when we were shopping at Costco awhile back for only $30 (the one pictured here cost $250 when I googled images of 53" bears)
Tiny Shags mocha brown teddy bear 52in
She really, and I mean REALLY wanted that bear.  I thought about it for a little while, but decided that if she was going to have something that huge in her room, then she would need to be the one to buy it.  So she went home, counted her money and began saving every little coin she could get.  As of this morning when she went to count her money, she finally had enough. 

Today, I stopped at Costco with David to get a few things while the girls were at school.  We looked for the bears like we normally do when we go through, but alas, they were no more.  I had to come home and break the news to one very sad girl.  It made my heart sad for her as she cried. 

Am I sad that I didn't just buy it for her in the first place when I saw her enormous excitement over it?  Somewhat, especially when I know how disappointed she is about it. But, we want our kids to know the value of money and to really truly treasure the things they get.  With something of that size, if she would have just had it handed to her on her moment's whim, I fear that it would not have been cherished, and then left sitting in her room, taking up way more space than a stuffed animal should be allowed to take up. We wanted to make sure that it was more than a passing fancy and desire for immediate gratification. It hurts my mom heart to see her work so hard to save up enough money and then just when she reaches her goal to have it not there anymore.  But, that is also a part of life. Sometimes life hurts and you learn hard lessons from those hurts. I'll just make sure to be there to feel sad with her and mourn over her lost bear with her. 

How about you? Share some of your stories with me.  Have you ever had a similar experience of saving up for what you wanted only to just miss out?

What's the first "big" thing you remember buying with your own money? I remember using my paper route money to buy myself a stereo system when I was about 10.  It had a radio, two tape decks, AND a record player. It was so cool. I felt like the richest girl alive. 

Comments

  1. Makes my heart sad too but you are a very wise mother. I can't remember ever having to work for something I wanted as a child..luckily my parents were poor so I didn't get everything whim that I wanted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look