Fitness Goals

I've been struggling the last few months with exercising, which means I haven't done very much of it.  Before I got pregnant, I was on track to try for another marathon this fall.  But that plan quickly changed as a marathon at 7 1/2 months pregnant didn't sound too wise.  So I just hoped to maintain my running for as long as I could, and then switch to walking.  That plan also changed sooner than I had hoped as nausea and a lot of fatigue made just getting through each day a challenge. Exercise usually didn't happen.

Now that I'm feeling better, I want to get back into a fitness regime of some sort.  I've found if I have a clear goal in mind, then it's more likely to happen.  Since I haven't run much in the last two months, I'm going to just stick to walking now as running for me when pregnant usually makes my pelvis feel like it would like to fall apart.  I'm not one of those women who can happily run throughout an entire pregnancy. 

So my goal is to walk a minimum of 260 miles from now until I deliver.  That's an average of 10 miles a week.  Right now, that is easily doable, and I plan to be higher than that right now while I can still move about easily and have the energy.  This morning I got in 3.5 miles before 6:00AM.  That's another lovely benefit of pregnancy - waking up at 4AM to pee and being unable to fall back asleep.  I decided I might as well be productive with that time.  I did, however, end up taking a small 45 minute nap this morning before 9:00.  : )

I'd also like to add in two stretching sessions a week to that goal.  This one is harder for me to accomplish.  For though I love how I feel after I do one of my 25 minute stretching videos, I rarely get it done.  So here I am adding this for all to see.  I don't want to fail you!

And on a very happy note, I am back in love with salads!  It's fresh garden salad season here and I think what makes me so eager to chow down on my salads (still no other added vegetables quite yet) is my homemade dressing.  I take about 1/4 c. lemon juice, 2 T. honey, a big handful of fresh herbs (usually a combination of dill, mint, parsley and a bit of basil), salt, pepper, and whirl it in a food processor.  While that's blending, I add a drizzle of olive oil to it just to give it enough liquid to be dressing like.  It's like liquid candy!  I don't like to overdo it with the oil as too much of it then reminds me taking castor oil - and I have many bad memories of that.  I'll share those stories as I get closer to delivery time. 

Another super easy thing I love now is roasted cauliflower.  Chop up a head of cauliflower, put in a pan, coat both pan and cauliflower with cooking spray, add some salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 25 minutes at 400 degrees, turning twice.  Then brown a tablespoon or less of butter in a skillet and drizzle over the cauliflower.  So good, so easy!  We all loved it last night and all wished that there was more to go around. 

I'm delighted to be able to tolerate more vegetables now - raw ones are still difficult to find pleasure in.  But cooked ones I really enjoy now.  I'm also really into all carbs right now.  My friend Kim is making her world famous homemade chicken noodles for me on Saturday.  I'm already dreaming of Saturday's lunch and it can't get here fast enough! 

What fitness goals do you have right now?  What food/s are you really into at the moment?  I need new things to crave!

Comments

  1. Did you ever update on where you ended with veganism? And how is your mom doing??

    I think cake sounds insanely good right now. Like really good, layered wedding cake. Also raspberries (of course). And a friend gave me banana bread with peanut butter chips... killer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. girlevolving; I tried commenting yesterday but it didn't "take". Melissa might not comment for me but I found the vegan diet too restrictive for long term. Having a neuro-muscular disease that I have ..I have been told that I need protein to prevent futher break-down of muscle and I found it way to hard to figure out by eating vegan. So still trying to eat healthy (which is a whole other story) I think the only thing I might go back to is the NO MILK rule since it does not seem to agree with me. (Melissa's mom)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look