Happy New Year!

I love the start of a New Year.  It always feels so fresh and exciting - though in reality life isn't all that different from last week.  It's just the new and fresh mindset that is going around where anything is possible and people start dreaming about what they really want instead of settling for what they have.  I love dreaming!

I went back to my old January posts from last year to see if I had posted anything about New Year's resolutions to report on them to you.  Thankfully, I hadn't made any resolutions because if I had, I had forgotten them by now.  I usually don't make "resolutions" at the start of a year.  There are times when I have a few things I'd like to work on, but I don't often wait until the New Year to start it.  I just do it as I see the need for change in my life.  So whether or not this is a resolution, I am in the midst of getting back on track with my overall health.  I've spent the last few months eating unhealthily and exercising very little.  The lack of exercise was partly due to my bum back for about a month, but also partly due to laziness and just not wanting to make the effort to move.  So I'm greatly out of shape.  Boo.  I also want to increase the health of what I eat.  Holiday eating mixed with lack of exercise equals bad things for my body.  I don't intend to be fanatical about it, just healthy. 

I keep debating about training for a marathon again this year.  As I was out on a little trot the other day thinking about it, I decided it's kind of like childbirth.  When you're in the midst of hard labor, you promise yourself that you will never have another baby again.  But after a year or two you forget all the bad things and only remember that joy and happiness when it's all said and done and you have a little baby in your arms, and then you want to have another baby because it really wasn't that bad, right?  So I think I'm in that process.  I have forgotten about the hours of training it takes, the hours of mental and emotional work that you spend on the thought of running a marathon, the physical exhaustion and sometimes pain after some grueling training runs, not to mention all of that on the actual race itself where I told myself I will never run one again.  All I can think of was how proud I felt of myself for completing what I had set out to do, the feeling of being really in shape, where obstacles were not insurmountable, where I was doing something just for me and because I wanted to do it, where I was mentally strong and tough, and where I had the ability to eat A LOT of food and not worry about it being immediately pasted onto my butt.  That last one is a big drawing card for me based on the fact of how much I REALLY like to eat.  At this stage I'm about 75% yes on the marathon.  I think I'm probably 100% on at least a half this year, but if I'm going to do a half, I might as well do a whole, right? 

So we'll see how the whole marathon things works out and what I end up doing.  All I know is that I WILL be taking care of myself better this year and have already started. 

How about you?  Are there things you want to do this year starting right now?

Comments

  1. I don't do resolutions either; if I need to make a change, I do it when it comes up. For example, last February I decided it was time to quit being home-sick for Iowa, to make the most of living in Albuquerque and to get over my fears about whether I could learn to throw pots on the wheel. I found a good place to volunteer, took on leadership of a committee at church and enrolled in ceramics classes. The result was that I was ready to stay longer in Albuquerque, I was able to accomplish some things for church that were needed, and I learned to throw on the wheel!

    Now here I am in Iowa again and needing to readjust - I'm sure the resolutions will come when I'm ready!

    Blessings as you decide about the marathon - perhaps I can come cheer you on! Love, MomK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look