Amazed

So I'm on Day 5 of my Vegan challenge with my mom.  So far we are doing very well.  My mom reports that she is feeling better already and less draggy feeling than she has been feeling for a long time.  She has already started to see some weight loss too, so she is excited about that.

It's been going well for me too.  I had my first eating at a friends house experience.  It was with some close friends, so I didn't feel weird bringing my own little tub of food for myself to eat while everyone else ate the yummy looking chili with cheese that smelled very good.  It really wasn't too hard for me.  I haven't been able to tell too much of difference in how I feel as of right now.  Mentally I'm still enjoying the challenge of it and of course I enjoy the process of finding new recipes and adapting old recipes.

I've been amazed by Aaron most of all.  He has been a very good sport through the whole process.  And while I am not making him go vegan, he is voluntarily going vegetarian with me.  I keep offering to make some meat to throw into his portion of the dishes I make, but he keeps telling me that he has been quite satisfied with my meals.  He does add in cheese or hard-boiled eggs as needed, so he is satisfied with that.  Tonight, for example, I am making lasagna.  I was planning on making my normal lasagna with meat in the sauce and will try out a smaller pan of vegan lasagna for me.  I told him I wouldn't make him eat the kind I made for me, and would provide him with normal lasagna.  He surprised me by saying that was fine, but to make the sauce vegetarian for him.  What?!  This is the man who in the past when I would make something vegetarian would usually say something like, "It's pretty good, but it could use a little meat." 

He called me today at lunch to tell me how disturbed he is by my influence.  On his "pastor" days he uses the coffee shop as his office and usually buys himself the meat and cheese sub sandwich they offer for his lunch.  Today, he called me to tell me that he chose to get the oatmeal for his lunch instead and said it's very delicious.  I laughed.  Here is his lunch:

It's nice to have some moral support and a whole lot of cheerfulness in joining me for part of it. 

How about you?  Are you a meat-lover?  Could you give it up for a time?  Dairy too?  Give me your thoughts!  I love hearing more about each of you.

Comments

  1. That's awesome! Dave was the same way - he started to go vegetarian because I did and because he started to like it!

    How are the kids doing with it?

    What have you missed? Anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it's going so well for you and your mom! What great support that is to her and Aaron is to you both!

    I know I would miss cheese, yogourt and eggs way more than meat! I wonder if a big part of the problem with animal products is the way they are fed (corn fed, antibiotics and hormones)...there is clear evidence now that grass-fed meat and dairy are much better nutritionally and the same with pasture raised poultry both for meat and eggs...Did I tell you that after reading The China Study, our friends Rich and Sarah became vegans? Have you or your mom read that book? I want to get it through the library...

    Of course, since Tom had polio at age 7, the thought of him having problems with PPS comes up from time to time, but so far there's no indication of that.

    Blessings as you continue to support your mom in this way. - MomK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look