Date Night

Last Friday, Aaron and I had a very fun date night.  We have always wanted to go to Aldi's (our discount grocery store) with $20 and buy things to make gourmet meal together on a date night.  So we happened to go shopping the day before our date and decided that it was time.  Here's a rundown of what we got.
A hunk of brie with some really amazingly good strawberries.  They almost tasted like summer strawberries.  We snacked on those while we cooked.  They made an awesome combination when eaten together.
Here is master chef Aaron busy making our salad.
A bag of spinach, some mushrooms, sliced strawberries, and our salad is born!  I had it with a red wine vinegarette that we had in the fridge.
We marinated shrimp in three different sauces and made shrimp kebobs to grill.  Here they are pre-grilled.
If you know me, you know that I am a sucker for cute food.  I have always wanted to have a cornish hen because they are so incredibly cute looking.  So we got one.  I let it soak all day in a brine mixture and then topped it with melter butter and herbs while I roasted it.  It was so good!  Tender, juicy, perfect.  There was nothing left but bones when we were through with it.
Aaron has alwasy wanted to try a filet mignon.  They sold them individually at Aldi's, so he got one.  It was okay, but it mainly tasted like a hunk of beef to me.  We probably should have marinated it in something.  I let Aaron eat it after my one bite.
We also grilled the remainder of our mushrooms with the shrimp.  We seasoned them with the sauces we had had marinated our shrimp in.  They needed a bit more time to let the seasonings marinate, but they were still good.  I love grilled mushrooms.
We ate our gourmet meal while watching a movie together.  I love date nights because we can watch a movie well before we ever can when the kids are around - we don't have to wait until everyone is in bed.  We enjoyed every moment of our date night.  Can't wait for our next one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look