April Fools

Every year on April Fool's day, I try to come up with some fun food ideas for the kids. Past years have always been so much fun. Here is an example from last year. They are on to me now and keep asking if I'm going to make an April Fool's meal that day. I try to put them off and ended up telling them that I wasn't going to make a meal this year (which was true) since I didn't have time. David said, "That's what you say every year." What I did do this year was dig up some dirt and worms and put them in our fridge in some Styrofoam cups. When Ana saw them, she wondered why in the world did I have dirt and worms in the fridge. I let her know that I was going to be starting some seeds for our garden in the dirt and saw that I had some worms so I put them in the fridge for awhile until I had time to plant the seeds. She thought nothing strange with my explanation

Abby was therefore quite horrified when Aaron came along and picked up a squirming worm and popped it in his mouth and ate it. He said they didn't taste too bad. It took them awhile to want to try one for themselves, but they eventually realized that this was their April Fool's food joke! The dirt was ground up chocolate sandwich cookies on top of chocolate pudding. The worms were a mixture of raspberry jello, a bit of cream to make them not see-through, and some green food coloring to make them look the same color as earthworms. I then had them set in bendable drinking straws. 
They looked amazingly real and they moved like worms when you touched them. It was hard to eat them as they looked a little too real.
Here is Ana eating her earthworm.
Abby and her earthworm.
It was pretty funny and they got a big kick out of it once they realized what was going on. It's getting harder and harder to fool them each year as they become older and wiser to my ways. Hopefully I can still come up with something good this next year!


Comments

  1. They were talking about this on their way home with us from Goshen on April 1st, wondering if you were going to make april fools food. My goodness, those worms look too real! How did you get them out of the drinking straws? Did they wiggle out on their own!

    You sure to a super job as a caring AND fun mom! Love, MomKay

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops - typo - that should be do a super job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa...they look SO REAL. I would have had a hard time eating them. You are so clever !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen (Zook) TritleMay 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM

    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look