Still Cooking

Abby loves all things girly when it comes to clothes. I decided that with a few exceptions when it comes to modesty or for important occasions, I will not argue with her on her clothing choice. She loves to feel beautiful and her sense of beauty is different than my sense of beauty. Nearly everyday she wears a dress. To combat the cold winters and still be able to wear her favorite summery dresses, Abby opts to wear pants or leggings underneath and a long sleeved shirt over the top of her dress. They don't always match or go well together, but she feels like a princess. Sometimes she wears a dress up fairy skirt to school over her pants. Here she is in her newest dress. Normally we get hand-me-down dresses from a friend, but this one we bought new. 
Another favorite activity is to steal my glasses and take self-portraits of herself.
Or if she can't find anything of mine to steal, then just taking her picture will do.
We're still plugging away on our cookbook challenge. We seem to go in spurts where we'll make about a dozen recipes in a week or so, and then cool off for a couple of weeks until we get the urge to have another frenzied week of cooking and baking.
Here is a Neapolitan cheesecake. It was pretty good. The chocolate layer was the best. I could have just eaten that and been happy.
David loves imitation crab meat. So he chose this crab toast. It was actually quite good - much better than the picture shows.
I made this triple layer strawberry cake from the cookbook. It was so moist and delicious. It's made with actual strawberries. I will want to make this again sometime.
And here is a picture of my shoofly pie from the cookbook. I had never had shoofly pie before. What type of Mennonite girl grows up without ever having had shoofly pie? Isn't that a staple pie that everyone has had by the time they're 5? This shoofly pie was combined with chocolate which made it a little more palatable. I have to say that I am happy to never have a shoofly pie again as it's just too molassesy tasting for my liking. I was able to eat this pie and feel okay about it, but if I'm going to eat pie, I'd rather really enjoy it.
Be sure to check back tomorrow for pictures of my annual April Fool's food fun with the kids!


Comments

  1. Why do you never share all this yummy food with your extended family??? Shame shame ! :) And for a Mennonite girl having grown up NEVER eating Shoofly pie? Perhaps it was because your mother had too much Baptist in her !!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder which branch(es) of Mennos like shoo-fly pie the most? My Swiss Mennonite grandma made pie a couple times per week; it was fruit pie of some kind - and that includes lemon meringue and pumpkin pies since they are from fruits, right?! Oh, one exception was that she would make cottage cheese pie or plain custard pie on occasion, probably when we had an abundance of milk.

    Makes me want to make a pie, and if I'm mixing up one, I may as well make two crusts! Too bad the rhubarb isn't big enough yet...

    Thanks for photos of your girly and the food inspiration! MomKay

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandma Yoder made shoo-fly pie quite often when I visited. I liked it, but now I forget what it tasted like. It did not have chocolate in it. I had forgotten about it....thanks for triggering a memory :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look