Catch Up and a New Food

Seems like it's been awhile since I posted anything.  We've had a very busy last few weeks.  First my family all came out to help my Grandpa celebrate his 90th birthday.  It was fun to be able to see everyone again and hang out.  One day we took our family and my brother's family up to a nearby lake and let them all have fun swimming around.  Everyone enjoyed it.  I didn't swim though as I need the temperature to be about 95 outside to be hot enough to feel like swimming is a good idea.  I'm cold enough most other times of the year that I'd rather not be cold when I'm supposed to be hot!  Here are my kids during a snack break (don't mind David's puffed out cheeks) - they were all cold from coming out of the water, so the girls huddled up to David to pretend they were penguins and get warmed up.
Earlier this year, my MIL and I worked on making a border for my flower bed.  I'm still looking for fuss free perrenials to fill in the gaps, but I'm slowly adding things as I find them.  This is a good time of year to find things on clearance - though they don't look the greatest right now - they are starting to cheer back up.
I planted summer squash and zuchhini in the back of my new flower garden and have declared war on any and all squash bugs this year - usually they consume my plants before I get a chance to enjoy any produce.  I go egg hunting every few days and destroy any I find on the backs of the leaves.  Since destroying a number of eggs early on - I haven't seen any more eggs and I enjoyed my first bit of squash today.  Mwuhahaha!
I also tried a brand new food today - okra.  I got a few from my neighbor.  Aaron is very strongly anti-okra.  It has a tendency to get slimy if not cooked properly and it has turned him off for life.  But I have never had it.  So I googled how to make okra without it becoming slimy and found some tips on ways to make it.  When I made it - it definitely wasn't slimy at all - so success in that factor.  My verdict was that it tasted somewhat like my pickled jalapenos.  While it was okay and I didn't despise it, I probably won't go out of my way to make it again.
Other updates in my life:
  • We lost in round two of the softball tournament.  We were playing in 103 degree heat and most of the girls were too hot and tired to care.  It was a good season overall, though.
  • I'm 18 weeks along and feeling good.  I'll try to get another tummy shot up in the near future.  I'm definitely looking quite pregnant.
  • My walking goals are going great - last week was 13.9 miles total - bringing my grand total up to 46 miles since I set my goal.  I'm six miles ahead of schedule so far! 
  • My girls love to swim! We spent much of last week at my in-laws house for a family reunion and they have a little swimming pond.  My girls were out there several times a day cooling off in the pond and enjoying every minute of it!
  • My house is a mess! After being in the house for the past few weeks only long enough to wake up, eat breakfast, come home, and dump everything - everything is super messy.  I hope to restore at least a bit of order this week so I won't be overly embarrassed if someone happens to stop by.
Are you an okra fan or have you ever tried it?  What are some of your favorite fresh summer vegetables?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look