Success and Eating Issues

Day one of full time school was a success for the girls!  They came home excited to tell me about what happened during their day.  It was fun to hear about all they did.  They even were excited about the bit of homework they had.  It sounds like they are learning to navigate the school and learn how things work.  Ana was very excited to have her own desk and a place to store her stuff.  And Abby got her own place to hang her supplies on her chair.  All of that made them each feel like they belonged instead of being a visitor.  Tomorrow's clothes are already laid out next to their backpacks in anticipation of another good school day. 

Now onto things that are constantly on my mind - food.  I struggle in my first trimester of feeling good and enjoying eating.  It's usually a feeling of being sick if I don't eat, but feeling even sicker when I do eat.  I spend much time everyday trying to think of something that sounds good to eat.  The problem with that is that what sounds good varies from minute to minute.  Also compounding the problem is my current exaggerated sense of smell.  The slightest smell totally grosses me out.  Here are some examples of the issues I've experienced lately:
  • I saw a tv show where someone was eating a red popsicle and it looked SOOO good.  I thought about red popsicles with much longing for several weeks until I made it to the store and bought some.  When I finally got to eat one, it made me feel sick, and therefore very sad.
  • I made banana bread the other day.  The smell of it baking nearly had me throwing up, so I couldn't bring myself to eat any of it.
  • For some reason our water smells disgusting to me right now and makes me feel nauseous when I drink it.  I'm now often thirsty, but nothing sounds good to drink except in theory.  Washing the dishes also smells horrid with my current water aversion - so I'm constantly behind on doing my dishes right now.  This is not a good thing.  I tried drinking juice today, but the sweetness of it is grossing me out too.  Grrr.
  • Candy has lost its appeal.  WHAT?!?
  • The thought of preparing and eating raw vegetables is hard for me to handle too right now.  This is very sad.  Who am I becoming?  I have found that I can eat them if I don't prepare them.  So if anyone wants to drop off a salad for me, I'd appreciate it! 
But with all my other pregnancies, the second trimester brings much relief from tummy woes.  I'm hoping and praying that this one follows the pattern!  Especially in the water realm.  Maybe if I try to keep it ice cold I can stomach it a little better. 

For all you women out there:  What weird things did you crave/have aversions to when you were pregnant? 

Comments

  1. Eggs. I HATED eggs when I was pregnant. That was tough because I eat an egg almost every day for breakfast.

    On a side note, I didn't know you are pregnant! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was about a month where all I wanted for almost every meal was a big cheeseburger. How gross! I don't normally eat a lot of beef, but I sure did for that month! On a different note, have you tried your water with a slice of lemon? Sometimes that makes water more appealing. Just a thought... :) This too, shall pass, and you'll be eating like crazy before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain! I was so sick the first trimester with Isabelle. But then with Ethan, I only got sick once or twice during the pregnancy. One of the times I had eaten Subway right before a flight from Joburg to Paris. I ended up being sick on the entire flight. Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of Subway anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very sensitive to smell the first trimester for Becca. But mostly I have to admit that I had an easy time with food in general. I craved pickles and icream with Becca. And with Jaelle I couldn't stand coffee. It made me sick to smell it or drink it. Which was crazy because I LOVE COFFEE. Your water deal is a big issue- you need water!! What about what your friend said, putting lemon slices or even mint leaves or some kind of herb leaf to cloud the water smell....all this will pass and you will feel much better soon. So happy you are pregnant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When pregnant with Adam, 38+years ago, I craved grapefruit juice and graham crackers - not a likely combination but I thought it was delicious! Don't remember any cravings with the other two...MomK

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look