Summer Fun

My parents have a little fish pond at their house.  It's really cool - my dad made it, complete with a waterfall.  Anyway, I was over at their house last week and looked in their pond and saw about 30 million tadpoles swimming about.  So I thought it would be fun to bring some home with me.  I got a small container and scooped up some water and caught about 40 right there.  I'm sorry this is a poor quality picture, but I think you can get the idea. 
They are still pretty small, but I have yet to see a dead one after a week.  We feed them lettuce and they go crazy over it.  I'm not sure what we'll feed them once they morph into frogs.  We plan on releasing them into the "wild" again should any make it to adulthood.  Abby has been wanting fish for a long time, so once these are either dead or released, we'll get some fish for her to enjoy (and name!). 

Questions for you?  Did you have pets growing up?  Ever have any interesting animals/experiences with pets?  I grew up with parents that were friendly to my love of animals.  In my lifetime, I have had: lots of cats - my first cat ever was a prolific breeder and would produce two litters of kittens every year and did so for about 13 years, 3 parakeets, a three legged hamster, mice (they had babies!), fish (sad fish story: I got a baby cat fish like fish once and it grew up and ate out the eyeballs of all my goldfish.  It was really gross.  Another fish at another time jumped it's tank and I didn't discover it until it was completely dried and crusty and stuck to the rug - let's just say I wasn't the best room cleaner).  Those pets were specific to me - our family has had a couple of dogs, my brother went through a turtle phase that graduated into a ball python stage.  I think that's all the animals we were allowed to have throughout our childhood.  I will never allow my children to get a pet spider.  Ever. 

Comments

  1. You might have finally had a NO from "said parent" if you had asked for a spider !!!
    When growing up I had 3 dogs (not at the same time) and lots of goldfish, 2 hamsters, and several parakeets. No "germy cats" as my mother called them. My father would bring these animals home for me. Never knew why my pets (minus the dogs) kept dying. Found out later the other parent was doing something to rush their lives along ! Enough said.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look