Trick or Treat

The kids and I enjoyed going out trick or treating last night.  Aaron was busy at work, so he wasn't able to join us.  This year, Ana decided she wanted to be a zebra.  This zebra shirt is in our dress up box of clothes that we scored when Aaron's step-grandma passed away 6 years ago.  She was a very flamboyant dresser and we have gotten some great mileage from some of her more wild clothing.  I painted Ana's face to match her shirt and we put her hair back for a mane and sprayed it black. 
Ana made these cute little ears and a tail to go with her outfit.  It was quite adorable.
She was very nervous about going out like that because she looked so different than she was used to seeing.  I tried to assure her that she looked great and that she would more than likely get many compliments on her outfit.  After about three compliments directed only to her and not her siblings, she let me know that I was right and people did like it.  After that, she was one very happy and confident zebra zigzagging down the street happily collecting candy.  The sad part came at the kid's party following trick or treating when she did not win a prize for her costume in her age group.  She tried hard not to cry.  She asked me if I were a judge, would I have chosen her?  I let her know that I thought she was the cutest kid up there and I would have immediately picked her.  That seemed to have made her feel better and she let me know several times that she thought her costume was better than some of the kids chosen for prizes because "all they did was buy a mask and wear it, but I made a lot of my costume." 

Abby went as an Indian warrior princess again.  This year we added face paint.  She too was sad to not win a prize in the costume contest, but her bucket full of candy made her happy.
David went as a king.  I apologize for the glare on the photo.  The flash kept reflecting off of his gold shirt (another priceless dress up find from Grandma Rosalie!)  Crown is courtesy of our good neighbor Miriam.
Picture of the troops outside just before beginning the trek - empty buckets at this point.
Annual picture with good friends the Puttmanns.  We used to trick or treat together, but with the addition of younger Puttmann kids and longer Fleming legs, our paces are different and so we split up to go our own speed after our annual picture under the tree.
The girls made a person out of some candy today.  They wanted to take a picture of it.  Let me assure you that the two red hot tamales on the candy person's chest are lungs.  I asked. 
For you to answer: What was your favorite trick-or-treating outfit that you've worn?
I think my favorite was when my best friend and I went as an old man and an old woman.  I think it may have been the last year we went as we were getting too old the next year.

Comments

  1. Love the costumes - tell the girls I would have picked them to win!

    Also, the tamales - HILARIOUS.

    I went as a carrot one year. A dice another. And a grocery bag. Those were my 3 favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look