One Year

This is me just a bit over a year ago. Ugh. That's painful just to look at it. But all the discomfort of pregnancy was so worth it for the precious little girl we got in the end.
We had a pretty low key birthday party for Keilah. A lot of it had to do with the fact that her little throwing up episode spread to the rest of the family and we spent Thanksgiving on rotation with it going through our ranks. So we did Thanksgiving weekend in shifts - Aaron and I took turns staying home from family gatherings with whoever had thrown up that day or night. But by Friday night, we were all feeling good enough to be together and celebrate Keilah's birthday. I made her a dog cake. I was very pleased with how it turned out. Usually my cakes look like total failures, but I am actually kind of proud of this one. You should all be very impressed with my cake making and decorating skills. I'll take a moment to bask in your praise.
Keilah liked looking at her cake and barking at it. The candle was interesting too. 

However, when it came time to eat her cake, she wanted nothing to do with it. 
Even cutting it up into smaller pieces didn't help. 
Having Dad try to help feed her only made it worse. 

The only thing to do was remove the offending piece of cake and eat ice cream instead. That's my girl. 
Funny thing is that I have eerily similar cake horror pictures from David's first birthday. He too was only appeased by the disappearance of the cake and the appearance of ice cream.
She scored big with some books from my mom for her birthday. She loves books and spends much time looking at them and talking about everything she sees. She also got a little phone to play with. It has a dog on it, so you really can't go wrong with that.
I made her this little contraption for her birthday. She can't manage all the locks yet, but she enjoys moving what she can. My other girls loved it and asked if I could make one for them too. I think I'll just let them play with Keilah's. 
And so now I have a big one year old in my house. It's such a blessing to have her in our lives!

Tell me about your cake decorating skills. What have been some of your biggest successes or failures?

Comments

  1. Love your cake and birthday gift idea! Perfect for age 1. My son did exactly the same thing with his cake that I made him at age 1. I worked so hard making a tractor-shaped cake and decorated it beautifully, but would he even take one bite? No. We visited my parents soon after and Mom decided we should celebrate again. She purchased a small grocery store cake and, of course, he dove right in. Little stinker. So now he gets grocery store cakes on his birthday and I don't stress over the decorating. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look