Our Christmas Tradition

Our family is not very big on traditions for some reason - probably has something to do with our inability to plan farther than two days ahead. There are only a few things we do every year at Christmas time and the annual graham cracker house construction night is one of them. I always feel a little weird shopping for it as I buy so much candy that I'm afraid to see anyone I know as I stand in the checkout line with my pile of candy, lest they judge me for my unhealthful ways. This year our neighbor girls got in on the action as did Grandma and Grandpa, who happened to show up right as we were in the midst of the fun.
Here is everyone hard at work creating their masterpieces.
I spent most of my time helping Scarlet with her house. She wanted to eat it right away, but I told her I had to take a picture of it first. She gave me this weird smile.
A much more normal smile 
Seconds after taking the official picture, demo-by-eating began. The house ceased to exist by the end of the evening.  
This is Ana's creation. You probably can't tell, but that's a giant squid adorning the top of her tower. 
Abby's tower 
 Ana and Abby planned theirs so that they could join them together with a fruit roll-up bridge. Now they can visit one another from their castles.
David drew out plans and created this boat. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of the candy cannons poking out from the holes down at the bottom. He took it down to the local gingerbread house making contest, hoping to win a prize with his creation. Good luck to him! 
Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of Aaron's creation. He made a simple shed structure and filled it with candy on the inside. He called it his storage shed. Silly boy. I did not get a chance to make my own creation as I was busy helping a little someone with her house and being an extra set of hands where needed with others. As far as traditions go, I'm quite pleased with this one and I imagine we will continue to do it for many more years even as the kids grow up and move away.

Is your family big on traditions? What's a favorite tradition you do with your family?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tribute To My Mom

Triplets Nine Years Apart

Abby's New Look